The Parenting Teenagers Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and three grandchildren and live in London. They started The Parenting Teenagers Course in 1997, and it continues to spread with many courses now running around the world.
The Parenting Teenagers Course is made up of five weekly sessions lasting 2¼ hours, including time for a meal. Each session may be split into two and run over ten shorter sessions lasting 1½ hours.
- Keeping the end in mind
- Meeting our teenager’s needs
- Setting boundaries
- Developing emotional health
- Helping them make good choices
Who is it for?
- Are you a parent, step-parent or carer of one or more children aged 11 to 18 years old?
- Would you like to meet other parents at a similar stage?
- Would you like your family life to be the best it can be?
- Are you struggling as a parent of a teenager?
- Would you like to improve your skills as a parent of this age group?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions then this course is for you! The course is for any parent or carer whether you feel all is going well or you are facing challenges. The course is for every type of parenting situation, including parenting on your own, step-parenting and parenting as a couple. While The Parenting Teenagers Course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for parents and carers with or without a Christian faith.
Whatever your situation, the practical tools you learn can help to improve and strengthen your family life.
What can I expect?
- A great atmosphere that is open, encouraging and fun. Courses are run in all kinds of venues – homes, restaurants, cafes (after hours), community halls, churches, schools – but, wherever your local course is run, you should find a great atmosphere and a friendly welcome.
A delicious meal or snack – each session begins with something to eat and drink, giving you space to relax and chat to other parents or carers.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun, either given live or played on DVD. They include filmed clips of parents and teenagers sharing their own experiences, street interviews and advice from parenting experts.
Small groups based on the age of your oldest child so that you can meet other parents/carers who are at a similar stage to you.
- Time to discuss the challenges you are facing and how to establish long-term strategies for your own family. However, you will not be required to share anything about your family life that you would prefer not to. Every part of the course is optional, including contributing to the small group discussions.