The Marriage Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, co-authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and are on the staff at Holy Trinity Brompton - the London church that started the Alpha course. They started The Marriage Preparation Course in 1985 and The Marriage Course in 1996, and the courses continue to spread with thousands of courses now running around the world.
They have spoken to thousands on the subject of marriage and are the co-authors of The Marriage Book which has sold over 210,000 copies since it was published in 2000. They run The Marriage Course three times a year at Holy Trinity Brompton with around 100 couples on each course.
Over seven sessions of the course you will discover practical tools to help you:
- Understand each other’s needs
- Communicate more effectively
- Grow closer through resolving conflict
- Heal the ways you’ve hurt each other
- Recognise how your upbringing affects your relationship
- Improve relationships with parents and in-laws
- Develop greater sexual intimacy
- Discover each other’s love languages and much, much more!
Who is it for?
- Are you married or in a long-term cohabiting relationship?
- Have you been together for over a year?
- Would you like your relationship to be the best it can be?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions then this course is for you!
The Marriage Course is for any couple, whether you have been together for one year or 61 years and whether you feel you have a strong relationship or are struggling.
If you have a strong marriage this course will help you make it even better and will reinforce your good habits.
If on the other hand your marriage is in difficulty, the course will help provide you with very practical tools to help you work through the issues. Some couples who are separated have used the course as a way of trying to get back together.
Whatever your situation, the practical tools you learn will help improve and strengthen your relationship.
While The Marriage Course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for couples with or without a Christian faith. Many couples who are not churchgoers have commented that the Christian content was presented in a way that did not make them uncomfortable at all.
What can I expect?
The course takes place over seven evenings. A typical evening starts at 7pm and finishes by 9.45pm. Each session includes:
- Fantastic atmosphere that many say feels like a date night. Courses are run in all kinds of venues – homes, restaurants, cafes (after hours), community halls, churches, even a cruise ship - but wherever your local course is run you should find a great atmosphere and a friendly welcome.
- A meal at a romantic table for two giving you space to relax and chat. You will be served with a candlelit dinner and/or coffee, tea and dessert.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun, either given live or played on DVD. They include filmed clips of couples sharing their own experiences and street interviews from around the world.
- Coffee and private discussion time as a couple. You will be given topics to discuss (sometimes with the help of an exercise). Music is played so you can’t hear couples on other tables and they can’t hear you!
- No group work, so relax - you will not have to share anything about your relationship with anyone else.
- Homework - at the end of each session you are given some homework to do together. This will help you to build on what you have learnt and give you the opportunity to apply it to your relationship. Don't worry - it won't be marked! It isn't looked at by anyone else and is just for your own benefit.